LOCATED six miles south of Reedsport above the entrance to Winchester Bay and at the mouth of the Umpqua River. This beautiful lighthouse casts its red and white beams of light 20 miles out to sea. The 65-foot tower is brick covered with white stucco and sits on a hill 165 feet above sea level surrounded by US Coast Guard buildings and a Museum.
HISTORY... The lighthouse opened in 1894 and is one of eleven on the Oregon Coast. It's red flash is the only colored signal on the Coast. Oregon's first lighthouse was built closer to the river in 1857. But it fell into the river 7 years later after a flood and the sand eroded under the foundation. Rebuilt in 1891 and completed in 1894.
SISTER LIGHTHOUSE to the one at Heceta Head just a few miles north of Florence. Both structures were built from the same plans and are identical in design.
THE LENS assembly was originally turned by a clockwork mechanism much like a grandfather clock, powered by a huge weight which had to be wound up by the lightkeeper every four hours. The lens is 5 feet in diameter, 10 feet high and weighs 2 tons. It consists of 800 prisms, hand cut in Paris, France in 1890. The signal is 2 white flashes followed by 1 red. The illumination was changed from oil to electricity in 1934.