We left Moffat and tried to locate The Devil’s Beeftub and Greymare’s Tail, one of the highest waterfalls in Scotland, and one of the places in the romance novel Anthony had started writing. (Still never completed). We couldn’t find either the hollow or the waterfall and decided to head on to Edinburgh. We took the A701 out of Moffat, past the River Tweed and found a "lay-by" with a stone sculpture marked with carvings, information about the Tweed and the Borders and a poem by Valerie Gillies. We took photos of the sculpture/marker before heading on.
Further on we saw a sign that read “Crawford Castle” with an arrow pointing the way, so we decided to detour and find the castle. We found it located on the north bank of the River Clyde, around half a mile north of Crawford in South Lanarkshire. This site, known as Norman Gill, was the administrative center for the Barony of Crawford, one of the largest and most influential barony in southern Scotland. The Lindsay family inherited half of the Barony of Crawford, known as Crawford Parish, via a marriage in 1215 to the elder daughter of Sir John Crawford, who died in 1246 without male issue. The castle was formerly known as Lindsay Tower. The castle is in ruins, not much left of it. We took a few photos and then got back in the car headed to Edinburgh.