I totally missed the deadline for this challenge, but I wanted to make these anyway–one of my favorite techniques. Plus I found someone to trade with! (#1 is in the mailbox, LeighAnn.) Thank you, Jan, for the challenge.
I looked through my ATC supplies and found three nice heavy, smooth pieces someone had sent me when I made a purchase. They must have been meant for acrylic paints and not ink because while I got some gorgeous effects with them, they smudged at the slightest touch, and the ink never dried. Heat setting didn't work. Heat embossing made them look horrible. Fixative looked bad too. So all three hit the garbage can with the ink still smearing.
Onward and upward. I had a stack of Judikins Mattekote Cardstock, precut for ATCs. That worked just fine.
Unfortunately, I ruined my favorite one (#5 above) because I had held it in place for stamping with a Stamp-a-ma-jig by adding some removable adhesive to the back. I left it overnight, and it was hard to remove the adhesive the next day. I ended up bending the ATC, and ironing would not remove the mark it left. (I'm keeping it anyway–love the way the water moved on that one.)
I'm posting all five of these so you can see the difference in the way the water effected the ink. On all of them, I let the water do its thing without interference for quite a while before heat setting. I seem to remember that I used to have to hit the water-stamped pieces pretty quickly with the heat gun to stop the process, but that wasn't necessary here.
I did find out that I needed to clean the stamp completely and start all over before doing a subsequent water-stamping or else the water didn't move as much. I did #3 and #4 after just blotting the used stamp with a paper towel and adding more Versamark and water. You can see that the background image is much more subtle. When I cleaned and dried the stamp before adding more Versamark and spraying with water, I got better results.
I only blotted one of these before drying with the heat gun. I kind of liked the effect of leaving the puddled water within the image (#2 and #5). When that didn't look good, I blotted it (probably #1).
2 1/2“ x 3 1/2”
Judikins Mattekote cardstock
Distress Inks–Shabby Shutters, Broken China, Rusty Hinge
Versafine Onyx Black
Stamp Out Cute Willow Background (inked with Versamark and misted with water)
Abracadabra Stamp Makers (focal image, inked with Versafine Onyx Black)
Winsor & Newton Artists' Workable Fixative
Recollections Adhesive Faux Pearls, Black