Michael Strong shared an Iris-Folding Pattern that he developed when someone told him he could use the negative image left over from die-cutting his stamped kimono image, and he shared it on his blog, The Born Doodler. You can find it here: http://strongstamps.blogspot.com/2011/03/iris-folding-kimono-pattern_253.html [strongstamps.blogspot.com]
These are my very first Iris-Folding projects. Nora invited me over to show me how to do it. She had worked out a couple of oddities about this design–for example, three irises instead of one!
If you try this pattern, #8, #9, #10 might give you trouble. Nora and I did #8 and #10 first, folding the narrow pieces twice instead of in half so there would be no raw edges. Then we put in #9 as a single unfolded piece (our first iris).
Nora had me trace the pattern onto vellum. That worked so well because I could flip my piece over and see exactly what part of the patterned paper I was using for each area.
Huge Tip: Invest in some Scotch Removable Tape. We used regular tape to hold the vellum pattern to the card piece. Even though we got rid of most of its tackiness by putting it on skin or cloth a few times, I still ruined both of my pieces because a piece of tape stuck to the card front. Today, I tried to cut another card front that would cover the old one exactly. Fat chance! I ended up pulling everything off the back (all in one piece) and making new card fronts. That was actually the easiest thing to do. Then I had the old front to use as a template so I knew my new front would work.
4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Card and Mat--Bazzill cardstock
Card Front--Smooth white cardstock
Papers used for the kimono--Paper Mojo